Weeeeeee’re Baaaaaaack! We decided to jump into some old Steven Spielberg TV Movies. First up we drive through the desert in DUEL. Then we wonder about the ease of which a family buys a house and moves in the same day. After that we discuss HEAT, OLD, and at the end of the show to avoid spoilers we talk MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and LOKI.
It’s time for some Van Damme Movies! First up him and Dolph Lundgren become soldier zombies in UNIVERSAL SOLDIER. Then he polices time so we don’t have to in TIMECOP. Then we chat about PSYCHO GOREMAN, MODOK, and JAWS.
They walk, they talk, they piss Eric off.
Hey it’s time to talk about some Vietnam Vets. Specifically Tommy Lee Jones. First he takes over central park in THE PARK IS MINE. Then he helps out a friend kill some people that took his hand in ROLLING THUNDER. Then we talk about JUPITER’S LEGACY, SYNCHRONIC, and NOBODY.
Just…don’t. Come back next week. Maybe by then we’ll have electronically jumped into the body of a better movie. I don’t know.
Time to pour a glass of wine and crank up the Air Supply, cause we’re getting cozy with Slither.
We talk about some vampire flicks this week. First up is Jack Palance in Dan Curtis’ Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Then we stay over at a creepy inn in Daughters Of Darkness. After that we talk about Invincible, Willy’s Wonderland, and some wrestling biographies.
Apparently everyone had a crappy week, and therefore there is only one cure…evil space clowns.
This week stuff gets animated. First we get into a discussion about art with FIRE & ICE. Then things get weird with HEAVY METAL. After that we chat about PLANEY OF THE APES movies, ROBOCOP, and the finale of FALCON & THE WINTER SOLDIER.
What do evil space children, blind angels, and orgasmic musical instruments all have in common? This movie.
This week we go all cyber punk with JOHHNY MNEMONIC. Then we go all dystopian future with TANK GIRL. After that we talk about a bunch of other stuff and end with FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLIDER and get Noah’s thoughts on the new SHANG CHI trailer.
This week Scott wanted to watch a movie about robots, and we all needed to see a basketball induced death. Deadly Friend it is.
Since we’re still in quarantine we decided to do a double feature of people hiding in other people’s houses. First up we question everyone’s age in BAD RONALD. Then Gary Busey gets very Gary Busey in HIDER IN THE HOUSE. We also talk about THE LAST BLOCKBUSTER, WOLFMAN’S GOT NARDS (again), and wrap up with FALCOLN AND THE WINTER SOLDIER.
Critters! Nuff said.
This week we head into a fantasy land of might and magic. First up we head to a wedding that goes awry in KRULL. After that we questions the rational of the gods in CLASH OF THE TITANS. We also talk about I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, WOLFMAN’S GOT NARDS, and of course FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER.
I like that WrestleMania is broken up into two nights. Because WrestleMania 35 went so long in 2019 I was falling asleep before the main event started. WrestleMania 37 was great, lots of good wrestling matches. Rollins-Cesaro, Sheamus-Riddle, Banks-Belair all stole the show. I could’ve done without the steel cage match with Shane and Braun. But a great show overall.
NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver was also two nights. In night one Walter and Ciampa told a good story, Walter chopping the announce table hurting his hand and working around it while Ciampa did more damage to it. I like seeing Walter chopping people, this match had some but not as many as I wanted.
I haven’t seen much from Karrion Kross outside of WWE-NXT, but what I been seeing it’s great. He’s intense and can put on a good match. Balor didn’t have a chance winning the NXT Championship.
Hogan getting booed every time he would speak, you wouldn’t be a wrestling fan if it wasn’t for him.
I enjoyed some of the Hall of Fame speeches. JBL, Kane, and RVD to name a few. You can tell some of these people needed a crowd to feed off of and the piped in chants… Hate it!
The celebrity involvement was good this year. Bad Bunny put on a good performance and I was so glad Logan Paul didn’t do a run in on Owens-Zayn. To be honest, he really wasn’t needed. The E just needed that extra buzz.
I’m looking forward to Monday Night RAW and SmackDown. Mainly to see what Edge is going after Mania, maybe another match or take time off.
Lastly… Congratulations to Jimmy Lloyd for joining the Hurt Business.
The night started with Titus O’Neil and Hulk Hogan dressed as pirates, giving a rundown of tonight’s event. Every time Hogan would get on the mic the crowd would just boo him. O’Neil was the crowd favorite.
The opening match is one I been waiting to see. Orton came to the ring first but it was the Fiend who made a spectacle of his entrance by coming out of a jack in a box. The Fiend didn’t sell much but he got distracted by Alexa Bliss and got RKO’d and picked the L.
Night one at Mania Natalya and Tamina won the tag team turmoil match so they could face the champs at night two. Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler walked in and out with the belts. This match was a cluster, you can hear spots being called for days and Natalya’s Jericho style hair was a bit distracting.
The rivalry between Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn I been following for years. Whenever you put them in the same ring together it’s always gold. The factor in this match was the celebrity guest, Logan Paul (thank the Wrestling God, JBL who was on commentary for this match.) who was just a spectator but got a stunner by Owens after the match… The match itself was great, Owens took some wild bumps and took a nasty helluva kick. This match had that ROH feel at times.
The match that stole the show at Night One was Rollins-Cesaro, yes I went back and watched the match. I was so happy Cesaro won and the world got to see the UFO spin. The match that stole the show at Night Two was Sheamus-Riddle for the US Championship. I thought for sure Riddle was walking out as champ since he’s been on a roll since facing the Hurt Business, but Sheamus won with a brogue kick to a spring boarding Riddle. Now I like to see where Riddle goes from here, maybe rematch or new storyline.
The Nigerian Drum Fight match was basically a hardcore match with drums and a gong surrounding the ring. Big E got screwed by an assailant who attacked him to help Crews win to become the new IC Champion. Big E did do his spear through the ropes and Crews hit a DVD on the hardest part of the ring. I wish this match was a bit longer and without it being hardcore. These two can go and want to see more from them.
Rhea Ripley took on Asuka and became the new RAW Women’s Champion. I wasn’t really feeling this match. I stopped supporting Ripley about a year ago, I just don’t find her character entertaining. She’s just a punk rock chic… At least Lita was entertaining. Asuka did come to the ring wearing a F13 inspired hockey mask.
The main event was the triple threat match for the SmackDown Championship. I been on a Roman Reigns kick as of late, he’s been a great heel. It was great seeing Edge back in the ring too, and yes it did feel like Daniel Bryan was a third wheel. Edge did his greatest hits when it comes to moves and finishes. Even hit a conchairto on Bryan. The highlight in the match came when Edge and Reigns both went for a spear and collided in mid air. Reigns had a lot of help from Jey Uso and because of that Roman walked out with the W. He pinned both Edge and Bryan.
On a side note… I loved Orton and Edge’s ring attire. Both wearing white and red. Also, since Rhea Ripley is called the Nightmare, and Asuka had a F13 mask… So, Freddy vs Jason? Just a thought.
The night started off with Vince McMahon giving a speech thanking every WWE Superstar for their hard work during the 2020 pandemic, and thanking the WWE Universe for their support.
The first match was for the WWE Championship. Drew McIntyre taking on champion Bobby Lashley, but the opening match got delayed because it started raining. For thirty mins while waiting for the storm to pass we got backstage interviews. Thirty mins later we finally got the first match and it didn’t end as I thought it would… You see, Drew McIntyre is all about his WrestleMania moment and wanted that moment to be defeating Lashley to becomes champion again but it didn’t turn out that way. Bobby locked in the full nelson and Drew passed out, not tapped out passed from the pain. Referee called for the bell and Lashley is still your WWE Champion. I thought for sure Drew was going to win but Bobby is untouchable right now in Vince’s eyes.
The second match tonight was a Tag Team Turmoil match to name number one contenders for the Women’s Tag Team Championships at Mania night two. It looked like the Riott Squad was going all the way but they got defeated by Natalya and Tamina.
AJ Styles and Omos beat the New Day to win the RAW Tag Team Championships. Omos was made to look like a powerhouse throwing around New Day all over the ring. AJ even hit a springboard forearm off Omos’ shoulders.
The cage match between Braun and Shane McMahon was filled to me. It was a cage match with Shane getting the upper hand with help by Elias and Ryker, but Braun limped out the winner. Shane did do a Van Terminator and Braun threw Shane off the cage into the ring. High spots.
Okay… Shut up! I know what I said in my Top Five Overrated, Overplayed WrestleMania Moments about celebrities getting into the ring, BUT! Bad Bunny was actually good and looked good pulling off moves. I heard he’s been training in the PC for weeks and it showed. I was impressed. He and Damian Priest defeated Miz & Morrison.
The main event of Night One was champion Sasha Banks putting her belt on the line to face the 2021 Women’s Royal Rumble winner Bianca Belair. This match blew me away. I’ve seen Banks put on damn good matches but this one tops everything she’s done in the past. Belair gave it her all and left it in the ring to win the SmackDown Women’s Championship.
The one match I missed out on tonight was Seth Rollins v Cesaro, I was cooking dinner around that time. But I will go back when the replay is available.
WrestleMania Night One was good, not great. It felt like Mania, and I’m glad to have fans back at live events. Because I can’t stand those piped in crowd reactions.
Everyone has their favorite WrestleMania moments or matches. I even did my Top Five, but today these are my least favorite Mania moments because they are overrated, overplayed, and just overall bad.
5. Celebrity involvement or celebrity matches. Big Show vs Floyd Mayweather, or Akebono. WrestleMania with Hogan and Mr.T vs Piper & Orndorff. To me these matches are bad, you know the celebrity will go over and the E is just doing it to get the views and get people talking.
4. Brock Lesnar defeating Undertaker at WrestleMania XXX. I watched those Last Ride episodes and know why Taker lost. But the streak was something special, something that probably will never happen again. Taker should’ve won and retired with it. But the E needed that shock feature to get buzz.
3. The Rock vs John Cena at WrestleMania 28 and 29. I liked the build to these matches but the matches itself wasn’t that good. I think I hyped myself up to much, knowing that their first match was bad the second one could be better but it wasn’t.
2. Hogan-Andre… I don’t mind this match, I know why it was done. To get Hogan over as the super babyface, but it’s WWE go to whenever they want to tell the story of “WrestleMania.” A lot was riding on WM but a lot more was riding on WM III.
1. If I get heat from this so be it. I said this for years and I won’t back down from saying it again, Savage-Steamboat is overrated and overplayed. It’s the greatest WrestleMania match in WrestleMania history, I don’t think it is. There was a time in WWE when they were all about WrestleMania and it’s history and the one match that was always talked about more than Hogan-Andre was Steamboat pinning Savage to win the IC Championship. The E hyped this match to death and it’s why I can’t stand it, plus I’ve seen it so many times prior the E running it to the ground. I need a good ten to twenty years before I can watch it again.
I bet you didn’t expect those matches making my top five list. Do you have any Mania moments you can’t stand to watch or just find bad? Comment below. Also, look for my coverage of WrestleMania 37 right here at Geek Nerdery. And for more wrestling related talk or if you’re into action figures visit Doiner dot com. Massive!
You know it’s WrestleMania season when the Massive One returns to… Geek Nerdery!
WrestleMania 37 this year, like last year is a two night event. Moments will be made and history will be written. Only difference this time around there will be some people in attendance. I can’t stand the piped in crowd chants. I digress… I’m here to tell you my top five WrestleMania moments or matches.
5. WrestleMania 9 is known as one of the worst Manias in history, but one match stands out from all the rest and that’s the Steiner Brothers v The Headshrinkers. The Steiners went over, but it was the first time I saw the frankensteiner and I was blown away. I never seen a move like that, flipping someone over while you yourself is doing a backflip roll through.
4. The build to WrestleMania XII and the iron man match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. I was so invested in Hart winning because I knew he was the better wrestler but it didn’t turn out that way. Overtime was needed and Michaels walked out champion. What got me hyped was the thirty min pre-show Free for All before the Pay-Per-View started. It recapped the build to Hart-Michaels.
3. At WrestleMania X-Seven the second TLC match was held. You couldn’t find a bigger Hardy Boyz fan than the Massive One at the time. I didn’t have my own backyard promotion but I was jumping off ladders with the neighbors kids. Hardys and Dudleys sadly lost to E d and C but that didn’t stop me from being a fan.
2. The Undertaker v Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25… I probably watch this match twice a year, it’s that good. The false finishes had me on the edge of my seat. This was the first time Undertaker had a chance at losing at Mania because I can see HBK going over, but that didn’t happen.
1. WrestleMania VIII Hart-Piper… I’ve known Piper as a brawler throughout his career but he and Hart put on a damn good wrestling match with a little bit of color. The pin fall at the end was a beauty, Piper had Hart in a sleeper but Hart walked the turnbuckles to flip head over heels to lock in a pin fall.
There you have it my top five Mania moments and matches. I have another one of these top fives in I’m mind, look for it in the next few days… Massive.